Thursday, February 10, 2011





So I went to Value Village last night looking for those stiletto heels for my dance class this Saturday. I changed my mind. I bought a robe instead. Why? because I can just find heels if it's just for one dance class. I didn't want to buy something I wouldn't wear very often. I don't want to do that anymore. So I bought a robe because every morning I dread getting up. The robe helps the transition until I can make something to eat and drink. After that I'm good.

Anyways while driving to Value Village the mind wanders to all the things I want/think I need. Ever notice how the mind wanders and justifies new things. All the time. Not just clothes. Electronics. Things for yourself, your place. Things. Always things to consume. Is this what life is? A constant relentless chase for the next thing? Until you get it and move on to something else? How crazy. And meaningless.
So instead of trying to remember all the fashion rules for a petitie warm skin toned girl with wide hips. Trust me there's alot for all the above mentioned categories I'm in. "Skirts have to be short so you don't look stumpy". "Colours must be jewel toned or you'll look washed out. " etc. So what if the one how created me knew me best? What if God had fashion rules to help a confused girl like me out? What does He say about clothes and what I should wear? Because I'm so sick and tired or getting rid of clothes only to buy new clothes that I thought were perfect at the moment. I did some research and here's what I came up with and how I will see them.

God's rules on fashion.
1. Don't worry about fashion.
2. Look like a woman.
3. Don't wear mixed fibres.

Here's my take on the above.
1. I will follow noone's "rules" on fashion. I will wear what I like. To me that is something I can move comfortably in without always pulling and tugging, sucking my tummy in or wear a camisole to fill in the gaping neckline. It does not itch. It covers my butt and crotch so I don't have to worry about underwear lines or reaching up and showing midriff. It has sleeves. It looks like this.
I wear it with skinny jeans or leggings. That's it. No cardigan. No camisole. No layering. I hate layering. I love the idea of just grabbing a jacket and heading out the door. I love the idea of a closet full of these t shirt dresses. I love the idea of not having to worry or think about fashion all the time. I'm ready to do tone my body instead of finding ways to make it "look" toned.

2. Look like a woman.
 Physically: Woman are form. Men are functional. Both beautiful and important but different. God made us this way. I feel much more beautiful in a dress than pants. They are also so easy and comfortable too. I'm going to go for this.

3. Don't wear mixed fibres.
My daughter gets a rash when she wears polyester. I got rid of all my polyester stuff for her and my skin got better too. What if I only wear natural materials. Cotton, linen, wool, cashmere, silk. Wearing mixed fibres I think has to do with mixing things that have different properties. Cotton absorbs water. Linen repels it. A linen and cotton shirt may not repel or absorb sweat and moisture the way it should. Also I think natural fibres let your skin "breath". The robe I bought last night was 100% cotton. Be careful. Most fuzzy robes may look soft  but they are made of polyester. Polyester melts easily onto your skin when near heat. Trust me it's gross. Also polyester "pills". I hate clothes that pill. Cotton gets softer with time. Buy timeless clothes. New question I ask myself now is. Will I wear this for life?
 Better than before. I used to just ask myself. Can I afford it? That's how you stay out of debt but accumulate junk and a closet you hate like me. I really want to be free from this. It feels like a prison. One that I made. Maybe God will help free me.

2 comments:

  1. GREAT DECISION! I got a victoria's secret a couple of years ago and I still wear it almost every morning!! LOVE IT! :)

    -- www.itsanewkate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. my fashion rules when shopping consist of three things:
    1. name 3 things off the top of your head you can wear it with
    2. calculate how often you will wear it and if its worth it
    3. i walk around the store and wait about 15 min and if im still thinkiing about it, its ment to be :)

    ReplyDelete